Monday, May 21, 2012

Friday on Monday

SOOOOOO.  For everyone who noticed, Friday came and went without yogurt OR the surprise recipe I was going to share.  Yikes.  Someone needs to start telling my boss I'm a total slacker.  Oh ya, the boss is me.  Well, I blame Diablo III.  It's been a lot of fun playing like the old days, just now you can get groups and talk to your friends and all the great things I've always been addicted to in games.  While I was engrossed in my computer, you were all sitting here on Friday hoping for the best yogurt ever.  Well, I'm working on that today, I have some energy, things are going along a good path today and I'm going to use it while I have it... which may only be an hour or two more, but hey! it's something.

Today is going to be a great day for yogurt because I can let it sit today and most of the night and hope for the best.  I have about 7 cans of coconut milk so when one doesn't turn out right, we'll move onto the next.  I wish I had agar flakes because I think that seems to be the catch to this yogurt thing.  The thickener can really make or break it.  I was using gelatin but anyone who's ever had jello and didn't like the texture can tell you why the yogurt would seem a bit funny.

OK.  Since everyone was somewhat left behind on Friday, here's the recipe I came up with quite by accident.  I would suggest using a thai coconut (even though I didn't have one at the time.)  Also, I have made my own coconut ice cream before and I VERY MUCH recommend you do that.  If not, well follow the recipe below and enjoy a nice summer treat!


Coconut Shakes

1 can of coconut milk (non sweetened)
1/2 - 1 quart of homemade sugar free coconut ice cream or sugar free/low carb vanilla (Breyers is good) use more to make it thicker
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or coconut flavoring
6-8 oz of shredded unsweetened coconut (this is where it's better just to use a real coconut, I can't find unsweetened sugar free coconut anywhere)
pinch of salt

Add everything to a blender (if you want a high protein kick, add a scoop of your favorite mix).  Blend on high until well mixed, pour, serve. Enjoy!

Of course no camera, no pictures.  I'm working on it though!


UPDATE!  I totally forgot that you can buy unsweetened coconut flakes, or shredded coconut at Whole Foods.  I knew I had been buying it somewhere but then suddenly couldn't find it.  This is because we moved back home and I shop at the local store.  Whole Foods is a 30 min drive!   Tropical Traditions is one of my FAVORITE companies ever and they also have it, but you'll have to ship.  They have delicious and wonderful coconut oil and flours and everything you'd ever need coconut.  Perhaps one of my next recipes will be the ice cream since you need to know how to make that in order to get this amazing shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy one of the recipes or just killing time at work on a Friday? Let everyone know! Also, if you modified a recipe with great success - post it! We love new ideas and delicious foods! Keep it clean and family friendly!