Sunday, March 24, 2013

Perfection! Or lack thereof....

I follow a lot of blogs, and a lot of them are food blogs.  Some are just funny to be funny, others random things.  I like gamer stuff, techie, humor.  Mostly humor.  I can have a very dry sense of humor sometimes or just goofy but no matter what I like to read what other people have to say.  With the food blogs, I love to see the ideas people come up with and before you know it, I'm whipping something up in my kitchen and thinking, "OOOH, this is going on my blog when I'm done!"

Well, sometimes, no... many times, I have some delusions of grandeur.  I know I do well around the kitchen (no "America's Next Top Chef") but definitely can shake up some pots.  However, after trying some new recipes from some of these websites, I get a little discouraged.  My shots aren't very clear or bright, my food didn't turn out looking as delicious, or didn't turn out at all.  And these days have a bit of a down effect on me.  I look around, think, maybe I missed my calling with eating and talking....


HAH!  Yeah right!   Eventually I snap out of it.  I love food.  Some days are better than others but nobody's perfect.  That's what I'm getting at today.  You can try some crazy recipes and if it's not as good as it looks on the other website, who cares!?  It's time and effort you did!  That's what counts.  We all have our talents, mine is goofing off in the kitchen until I find something that tastes delicious!  Even if that means ruining every other recipe I find, first.

Today's fun recipe is actually pretty simple.  I'm going to give my modifications but the original recipe is just absolutely delectable!   Forgive the not so great (imperfect!) pictures as I took them with my new Nexus 4 and since my Galaxy died (thanks a lot Samsung....) I had to get something else, unfortunately, this camera isn't quite as good, but it's not bad either.  I need to start saving for an SLR!

This recipe belongs to "Smitten Kitchen."   I have modified it, but of course, her recipe is fine as written.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/10/spaghetti-with-broccoli-cream-pesto/


Spinach Cream Pesto Linguine

4 Servings of  cooked gluten free linguine (al dente)
1/2 lb of washed/dried spinach (you can do this in a salad spinner)
1 tBsp butter
1/4 tsp chicken stock soup base (vegetarian - use veggie soup stock!)
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tBsp heavy cream
fresh ground black pepper or pinch of red pepper flakes.
1/2 cup shred parmesan for serving
salt and pepper to taste

In large skillet, melt butter over medium heat and cook onions and garlic thoroughly about 8 minutes.  Add in fresh spinach, and cook quickly about 3 minutes until wilted and dark green.  Careful not to overcook.  Pour the cream over the mixture, add soup base and red pepper flakes and stir about 30 seconds more.  Transfer everything from the skillet into a food processor and pulse until you have a creamy sauce.

Place pasta into a pot and pour the green sauce to cover, mixing well.  Serve hot, sprinkled with parm.

EASY!  You can do it!

(See?  In order to show you perfection is not the goal, I found too late, that I had no linguine or spaghetti, or broccoli.  This recipe was born from elbow macaroni and spinach being the few food items left in my house. Everything worked just fine!)






P.S. -  HI READERS FROM RUSSIA!!  Good to have you all hanging out with me.  Again this week you were the country with the most readers/page views and I'm super excited to have you all over here!  I hope you're finding some great things or at least having a good laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy one of the recipes or just killing time at work on a Friday? Let everyone know! Also, if you modified a recipe with great success - post it! We love new ideas and delicious foods! Keep it clean and family friendly!