Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Fuzzy Slippers

For people with chronic illness (and mostly everyone who has to deal with a harsh reality,) there is a certain point that you hit, which signals, "stop, drop, and roll - before you detonate like a bomb."   There's only so much people can take; life is stressful and can be overly demanding.  So, when I called in for sushi takeout tonight, and showed up in my fuzzy house slippers, it didn't bother me one bit.   Mostly.  Today was filled with doctor issues and back and forth of a crazy schedule.  I was exhausted by 3p.m.  Everyone has those kinds of days.  Last week I had three different people tell me that life's been complicated and some of the recipes I have here seem equally so.

I have a couple things for you.  One, don't try a new recipe on a day that you're working late, driving the kids to practice all over town, or fried from a bad health day.  If it looks interesting and you'd like to try it, put the ingredients on a list, make sure you have all of them, and then on a day when you're inspired, give it a go.  If not, no worries.  There are plenty of other things (like takeout sushi) to eat for dinner.

In the spirit of simplicity, tiredness, and stressed out, today's recipe is a GREAT snack, very easy, takes 5 steps (not counting the ones to get to the kitchen) and then you're good for a while in front of the tv, Starcraft, or pretending to work with your head firmly planted on your desk.   Also, because I've been writing posts EVERY DAY in my head, but not here, I have some catching up to do.  You see, there were CONCERTS recently and do you think THIS fan is going to miss that?  OOOH NO!  LOL - I stood in 40 degree weather for 3 hours to watch some live Goo.  I have NO pictures!  Yes, I'm fine!  No, I didn't freeze.  Yes, my camera works.  I did get American Girl on video with my Galaxy but that was it.  Just jumped up and down until my pants fell off and screamed and waved and clapped until my hands and voice went numb.   I'll fill you in later.

Today is Bon Jovi's album release, and if you haven't heard it you should.  I'm not a huge fan, but this is GREAT stuff!

Enjoy!

Baked Chickpeas 
(anyone else seeing a glassy eyed, half lidded, pothead chickpea?  No?  Ok, movingon...)

1 can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed well, until no bubbles form
2 tsp rosemary
1 tBsp sea salt
1-2 tBsp olive oil/coconut oil of your choice (melted/liquid)

Preheat oven to 400.  Get a baking pan/cookie sheet, line with tin foil - shiny side up.  Pour your rinsed chickpeas into a zip bag with the oil, salt and rosemary.   Give it a few good shakes, pour out onto the pan.  Pop in the oven for 35-45 min.

YES there is a BIG time discrepancy here... I'll tell you why.  The first time I made them they were crispy on the outside and kinda not so much on the inside.  It tasted great all the same.  Then later, I forgot when I made them again, left them in the oven and they got a little DARK brown for my taste BUT this caused them to be crispy all the way through.

So, if you want them MORE brown and crsipy, leave them in longer.  If not, well take them out when they are just barely golden.


Here's "Because We Can"!
(and a pic of these yummy snacks... noooo...NOT the band...)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Did you enjoy one of the recipes or just killing time at work on a Friday? Let everyone know! Also, if you modified a recipe with great success - post it! We love new ideas and delicious foods! Keep it clean and family friendly!